Are You Prepared to
Stay Ahead of the Storm?
Severe Weather is a Danger Throughout the Year
Meteorologist Cheryl Nelson, Weather and Preparedness Advisor for Cummins, offers the following tips to safeguard your home and family...
Severe Storm Season
- Have a backup power source in case of an outage. A Cummins home standby generator can safely power your home and effectively power your sump pump in the event of flooding.
- Trim trees that could damage your home and inspect your roof for leaks, especially after a rough winter.
- Include your power outage disaster kit in your spring cleaning. Replace batteries and older items, and make sure everything is in working condition.
- Replace the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Ensure that your home is covered by flood insurance at least 30 days before hurricane season begins.
- Check your roof for hanging shingles and leaks. A properly maintained roof will help prevent water damage.
- Have a home standby generator to ensure your power can be restored.
- Store important documents in a metal strongbox and keep important files on a portable flash drive.
Winter Storm Season
- Do not overexert yourself in cold weather. Strenuous activity, like shoveling snow, can increase your chance of a heart attack.
- Have a plan for family and pets in case of separation or travel issues.
- Keep a prep kit in your car. Be sure it includes water and non-perishable food.
- To keep your house warm during an outage, a home standby generator is a key component.
Heat Wave Conditions
- Consider a home standby generator, like the Cummins QuietConnect, that will turn on automatically to keep your A/C running, even when you lose power.
- Upgrade your windows and weather-strip doors to keep heat out and cold air in.
- Stay hydrated, and never leave children or pets alone in hot vehicles – even for a second.
- Install awnings, blinds or light-colored drapes. Keep them closed to reduce sunlight and heat.
Safeguard Your Home with Cummins
Quiet. Compact. Reliable. Cummins home standby generators are a safe, permanent backup solution for your home when a power outage strikes.
Cummins home standby generators run on clean, efficient natural gas or propane, and are designed to automatically turn on when there’s an interruption in your utility company service. That means you and your family are never without power.
Schedule a Free In-home Assessment
Find out which Cummins standby generator is right for your home. A Cummins Authorized Representative will visit your home to assess your power needs and discuss your options and pricing.