Cummins Home Standby Generators
How Long Will a Standby Generator Last?
Purchasing a standby generator for your home is a long-term investment,
so how long will your generator keep your home powered on?
During a Power Outage
Generators can run as long as fuel is supplied to the generator and periodic checks are made. Cummins home standby generators use either natural gas or liquid propane (LP) to run. In theory, a generator powered by natural gas could run indefinitely, since it is provided by your utility company, although this is not recommended as a primary power source. A generator fueled by LP will be limited by the amount of propane in your tank and loads placed on the generator. Cummins makes the most fuel efficient generators on the market.
Home Generator Maintenance
Performing routine maintenance on your home generator keeps it running for the long haul. To ensure your backup power supply is ready at a moment’s notice, follow these preventative maintenance tips:
- Run your generator. Cummins home standby generators include flexible exercise modes to reduce unnecessary fuel consumption, emissions, and noise.
- Check generator diagnostics. During exercise modes, your generator will perform a maintenance check to verify your generator will be able to power your home during an outage. You can also use the “crank only” mode to run a diagnostics check by cranking the engine without starting the generator.
- Use the Remote Monitoring app. This app will provide you instant notifications if your generator needs attention.
- Conduct a visual inspection. Just like your car, a generator requires maintenance. Every month check your generator’s fuel lines, coolant and oil levels, air filters and surrounding area for dirt and debris.
- Trust the experts. An authorized Cummins dealer can perform routine maintenance on your home standby generator so your home is never left in the dark.
Don't Be Left in the Dark
Cummins home standby generators keep the lights on when utility power goes out due to severe weather or utility failure. It’s a safe, permanent backup power solution for your home.
Cummins generators are quiet, compact and reliable, and automatically turn on when there’s an interruption in your utility company service. That means you and your family are never without power.
How much standby power do you need?